Wednesday 2 October 2013

Tattoo Talk

I felt it appropriate to chat about this topic as later today I'm getting my first tattoo.


Something I've heard a lot lately (since I turned 18 and the idea of getting a tattoo became a reality) is that I need to make sure I'm sure about the design and maybe I should think about it a little longer and maybe I'm too young and "did you know it's permanent?" First off, I don't mind if you give me your opinions but at the end of the day I'm going to do what I want to do. I have many tattoo concepts that I'm not 100% on but this one is something I've been thinking about for over 2 years so I think I can justify getting it. But who's to say it must have years of thought and consideration and deep meaning? If you think about something long enough, you'll be able to talk yourself out of it. Sometimes it's good to be spontaneous and say "you know what, I like this and I want this and maybe it won't mean as much to me when I'm 60 but it means something now" even if the only "meaning" is that you think it looks cool or pretty or interesting. Who cares? It's your body, and if you regret it then it's a lesson learned. How do we know what we'll want when we're older? Why does getting a tattoo at 18 seem so stupid but getting one at 35 automatically won't be regretted. If you've been thinking about getting a tattoo since you were 15 but waited it out for 10 years and you still feel the same, you've wasted those years when you could have had the tattoo and enjoyed it. Why are we always waiting around for approval. Live a little. There should be some thought put into it before you ink your body forever but don't sit around debating. Chances are, it'll never happen.

Do y'all like tattoos? On yourself? On others? In general? Do you hate them? Do you think they need significant meaning? Let me know.