Friday 18 April 2014

(More) Thoughts On Books

I think the last time I did one of these was around midterms/exams last semester, and what a coincidence that it's exam week again and I've found so much time to read..

Me And Earl And The Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

I had heard so many good things about this one on the BookTube and while browsing Chapters a couple weeks ago, I decided to pick it up. It was just as raunchy and funny as everyone said, and I loved it. I found it somewhat realistic and it didn't romanticise cancer at all, which is refreshing. Would recommend.

A Really Awesome Mess by Trish Cook and Brendan Halpin

This was a book I hadn't heard anything about, and just found at random and judged by the blurb and the cover. I ended up really liking it, and if you like the darker YA type, this is a good one. It was funny and realistic and almost coming-of-age. If you liked things such as Cut or It's Kind Of A Funny Story, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower etc. then this is a good one for you!

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

I'd avoided Sarah Dessen for so long because she'd been so hyped by everyone, but after a friend lent me one of her books a while back, I started to understand. This book was all music and angst and growing up and dealing with a lot of terrible events - I adored it. Not your typical teenagers-in-love story, and if you like to read about people that are obsessed with music - yes.

The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams

When I was in high school, the gifted English class read this and so I'd heard of it, but when I saw it at Chapters on clearance the other day I figured, why not? It was pretty funny, as people had told me and I like a funny book. I feel as though a lot of the made up space terms went over my head, as there were so many and it went so fast, but I still enjoyed the book. It was pretty short, too so I got through it in a little over a day. I think I saw the second book in the clearance section as well, so I might just pick it up next time I'm at Chapters.

I rated all of these over on GoodReads so you could follow me on there if you'd like. Do you follow people on GoodReads? How does that work? Add me as a friend? I don't know. It did come in handy when I had a huge stack of books in my arms the other day and needed to narrow it down - I just scanned each one there and then and looked at the reviews!