Tuesday 25 February 2014

Tattoo Post: Part 2/?

Well then, you know what's to come..

I didn't have an outfit to post today so I figured I'd write about the tattoo I got instead. We all know in October I got my first tattoo (I did a whole post about that one as well) and now I'm back with more.
Basically, without trying to degrade the realness that is OCD, if I were to explain my thoughts you'd think maybe I have some of those tendencies. I got my first tattoo on my left leg, above my ankle so you could see it standing behind me. I always planned to get both ankles done, I could not imagine ever keeping it just the one. It didn't sit right in my mind. I felt unbalanced. Maybe just because it's an area where you always see it's other half? Anyway, for the months since I got the first tattoo, I've been dying to "finish" it. The problem was, I didn't know exactly what I wanted on my right leg. I toyed around with other circular symbols and even settled on one for a long time, but last Friday when I finally made an appointment (with the same girl that did the first one, I figured that was necessary) everything kind of got skewed. None of my family members thought my idea made sense and I started to doubt it. Then, when I thought about it, I felt that the tattoos had to be extremely similar. I considered flipping it into a smiley face, but when I drew it up, it just didn't look how I wanted it to. My mom suggested I get the "negative" of my original tattoo (after I had a minor breakdown when she told me I should just leave the leg alone) as in, the circle would be filled except where the lines are on the other leg. I almost did this, but again, it threw me off that I wouldn't be getting that outline. I needed it to look as close to the other without being exactly the same (I had decided I didn't actually want the exact symbol on both legs). Then, I thought - I'll just flip the symbol upside down. It's almost like getting a smile, but not quite. It allows me to have it look uniform but with a minor twist.
If you want some meaning, I'd say it's almost a "turn that frown upside down" taken literally. Or you could see it as a yin/yang. A lyric comes to mind, "I'm never what I like, I'm double-sided. I kinda like it when I make you cry, 'cause I'm twisted up".
I don't have a picture right now, but I know it'll make a lot more sense when I do. Here's the left:

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with it all and can't wait to keep going with all my tattoo plans.