Saturday 18 January 2014

Thoughts From Places: Buffalo, NY

The bridal party really wanted some cowboy boots..

So we started off our day at the crack of 9AM, though I was ready at 8:30 when I was told my sister would be coming to pick us up. Anyway, we were on a mission to make it to Walden Galleria and find some boots that all 5 of us liked and fit into. Pretty simple task, unless you have a huge size range and multiple opinionated people.
Anyway, after a bit of trouble crossing the border we were somehow immediately lost even though we had 2 GPS devices going. I can't say I was surprised.
For the most part, Buffalo looks a lot like my home town and every other uneventful city ever. We ended up driving around the slums, so I'll call it and that was interesting. It still just looked like our downtown, including the Tim Hortons on every corner. Can I just add that Tim Hortons - a Canadian trademark - has different options in the states? What is this "spicy mac & cheese" thing and why don't we get to experience it?
Walden Galleria was huge and of course everything seemed so cool and different because I was seeing stores I had only heard about; Pac Sun, JC Penney (I think we actually went in one last summer in NYC but), Anthropologie, and DSW. Not to mention the foods because that's always my favourite part. Anyway, after searching pretty well every store that looked like it might sell shoes, we found a few we liked but no single store had every size. After a lot of walking back and forth and snagging a frozen yogurt sample we decided we didn't all have to match so we went with what fit. After talking wedding details all day I'm getting more excited for September especially as I knew next to nothing about what was being planned until this afternoon.
After that fun time (I couldn't care less which boots we got, it's not my wedding) we braved the cold back to the car and drove to Olive Garden. I must say the food there was great and I'm all for unlimited soup/salad and breaksticks. I had the eggplant parmigiana and it was not bad. Then we went to Target to find it is literally identical except a few things in the food section that we oo-ed and ahh-ed over. We brought home Cheeze Its and Cinnamon Life for my brother, Suave dry shampoo for me, and sadly, no coconut M&Ms for Michelle.
We ended up paying duties on the shoes etc. which caused an uproar from all the ladies in the car that had been over the border multiple times and never been charged so that was a thing.
After that we stopped at a Lululemon outlet that's sales were sub-par and drove home.

As for some conclusions: I swear as soon as we were back in Canada it seemed a lot sunnier and the snow had stopped so maybe it's best we stay here. Also, I feel completely lost without my cell phone which probably isn't a good thing. I might still be full from lunch but I ate the leftovers anyway because I couldn't help myself.