Sunday 4 May 2014

Thoughts On Books Vol. 3

I was thinking about making this a monthly thing, but my reading habits are so sporadic I think it's best to just do it as they come. Still trying to think of a proper name for these posts, too. Hmmmm.

Billy And Me by Giovanna Fletcher

I'm not going to lie - the main reason I picked this up is because the author is married to a member of McFly and he promoted it. I thought the characters were very real, and I could relate to a lot of what Sophie felt, even if our lives are completely different. I'm looking forward to Gi's next release (and the book cover was beautiful)!

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
I put this one down for a few days in the middle of reading it, but once I got back into it I finished it like nobody's business. I liked the changing of format from chapter to chapter; some plain text and some in e-mail form. It was such a "modern" love story and had a lot of funny moments mixed in with a lot of things that hit close to home. Rainbow Rowell gets me again.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan 
I've been wanting to pick this up for as long as I can remember and I finally did! It was a bit of a change from the movie, but good in it's own way. I personally fancy when books chance perspective for each chapter, it gives a well-rounded picture of what is happening, so this was cool as it follows Nick's perspective as well as Norah's. It seems Rachel & David have written other books together so I'm keen on checking those out! I certainly bookmarked a ton of pages while reading this and y'all know I love reading about music fans.

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick 
This one gets a lot of coverage on the ol' BookTube and the blurb seemed interesting enough, and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It showed a lot of character growth and struggles, and you never knew what might happen next! Of course, the love story was a main part (wasn't that adorable) but the friendships and family dynamic were also important, especially when such a contrast exists. An appropriate title.

One + One = Blue by M.J. Auch
Originally, I was drawn to this because of the cover. I was getting mixed feelings from reviews on GoodReads but decided to go for it anyways. I enjoyed it, although it may have been a bit unrealistic at times. Also - as many pointed out in reviews - it doesn't really focus on the characters' experience with Synesthesia as it claims to. Still worth a read for the adventure and struggles of the two main characters.


As always, you can follow me on GoodReads for ratings of everything I read
I also love to Tweet my favourite bits while I'm reading
And occasionally I'll post hauls/cute reading pictures on Instagram
xo, rachel