Saturday 6 July 2013

So I went to Warped

for the very first time and I'm so glad I did.
I've been wanting to go for a few years but I've never had friends to go with/money/a band I just HAVE TO see. This year was perfect because all three of those variables added up in my favour. All my best friends were going, I had a paycheck to buy tickets with and some of my absolute favourite bands and some new discoveries were on the tour. Awesome. I've been looking forward to this for so long and it finally happened and I didn't go in expecting much but it really was worth it and I'd definitely go again in the years to come. The entire experience was good from start to finish, from when my friend picked me up bearing breakfast to the drive there without a parent for the first time to getting a bit lost to seeing Allstar Weekend as soon as we got in on their last tour ever to seeing Man Overboard and Action Item and The Summer Set to hanging out with all my concert friends and dancing and enduring the rain wow. It was like a festival but everyone had a common mindset towards music it was a completely different atmosphere, everyone was having the time of their life because of music and summer and friends. I was a bit hesitant to go because I wasn't sure I fit in with the "type of people who attend Warped" but there was so many different ages and genres and kinds of people that everyone fit in and it didn't matter, which is one of my favourite things about concerts. Another thing I noticed was the sheer volume of self-harmers I came across, it must be the type of bands playing but I have never seen so many scars in such a small area. (Actually, the venue was huge and spread out and really unexpected) the best part is that nobody felt the need to cover their arms or legs, they knew they'd be accepted, empathized with or people wouldn't give them a second glance. There was no judging based on marks or age or hair colour because everyone was doing their own thing, they didn't have time to give dirty looks or whisper things because it wasn't about that. Anyways if you're reading this and you've ever considered going to Warped but haven't, I suggest you take the plunge. If you wanna mosh, mosh. If you aren't into that, stand near the back and dance or talk to new people or go to signings or stray from your friends to make sure you see everyone you want to see. Heck, see bands you've never even heard of. It's a trip.